• Non-Profit
  • Extra Security
  • Accessible
  • Mobile-Friendly
  • Privacy Policy
Kellys Directory for Combe Martin in 1902. Title page.  Combemartin History, Combemartinvillage.co.uk

Kelly’s Directory, also known as the Kelly’s, Post Office and Harrod & Co Directory, served as a comprehensive listing of businesses and tradespeople within a specific English city or town. The 'Victorian Yellow Pages' included a general directory of postal addresses for local aristocracy, landowners, charities, and other establishments. It is still a valuable resource.

Combe Martin in Kelly's Directory 1902

The attached publication from Kelly's, is an accurate description of Combmartin (Combe Martin) and its industry as it was in 1902, when the village still had its market town charter.

There was a small Umber Mine at Combe Martin in 1902, and lime was still extensively burned in this village at that time. By the date of this publication, the old Combmartin silver mines were "entirely neglected", having been abandoned since the late 19th century.

Combe Martin valley was "very productive, and the local cottagers supplied fresh fruit and vegetables to Lynton and Ilfracombe". At that time, "the chief crops were pasture, fruits and vegetables" grown on rich loamy coastal soil.

This edition of Kelly's Directory of Devon (1902) also includes a list of Combmartin's contemporary private residents; names, occupations and businesses, along with their residences.

"The population of Combe Martin in 1891, was 1407". The parish Sexton in 1902 was Ernest Norman. "The Iron Chapel of Holy Trinity to St Peter's Church, was erected by Rev. Humphrey William Toms on his own land in 1855. It was gifted by Mrs Whitehead".

London (1902): KELLY'S DIRECTORIES LTD., 182, 183 and 184, High Holborn, W.C.

Source: Archive.org - kellysdirectoryo00londuoft.pdf (archive.org) Public Domain.

Posted by Admin on 01 December 2023.